Image Source: Good Word News
Following criticism online from users, influencers, and celebrities, Instagram says it is stopping the launch of new features on its app.
Increased video content recommendations in the vein of TikTok, a competing app, were one of the new features.
People thought they weren’t seeing as many images from friends and family, so the display and feed drew criticism.
Its parent firm, Meta, stated that it would “take some time” to ensure that the adjustments were made properly.
The rise in popularity of competitor TikTok, where users post and watch more video than static images, is thought to have served as the spark for Instagram’s redesign toward more video content.
The TikTok app has been downloaded more than three billion times worldwide, according to data from digital analytics firm Sensor Tower. It is the first app outside of Meta’s portfolio to reach this milestone.
The Verge received a statement from Instagram CEO Adam Mosseri stating that the test version of the updated app would be discontinued in a matter of weeks.
Mr. Mosseri stated in an earlier video describing the switch to video that full-screen films will be prioritized over images.
He responded with a series of tweets, saying he wanted to “continue supporting images,” but this was after some pushback.
Model Chrissy Teigen of the United States claimed in reaction to Mr. Mosseri’s Twitter video that people “don’t want to make films” and that engagement with photos has decreased.
A petition to “Make Instagram Instagram again” was also published on Kim Kardashian and Kylie Jenner’s social media accounts.
The novelist and content producer Toni Tone expressed her displeasure with the changes in a post, saying that Instagram was much better when she received stuff from the individuals she wanted to follow.
A representative for Meta told the BBC: “Based on our findings and community input, we’re stopping the full-screen test on Instagram so we can explore other possibilities and temporarily reduce the number of suggestions you see in your feed so we can improve the quality of your experience.”
The Kardashians Slams Instagram
Creators of Instagram content have joined reality TV stars Kim Kardashian and Kylie Jenner in criticizing the platform’s new look.
In messages on their Instagram Stories, Ms. Jenner and Ms. Kardashian pleaded with the Meta-owned site to “make Instagram Instagram again.”
Reels, Instagram’s own short video format, have recently taken center stage as opposed to individual posts. However, other users have urged Instagram to “quit trying to be TikTok.”
The network has undergone “a lot of change all at once,” CEO Adam Mosseri acknowledged in a reel on Tuesday.
He assured users that photographs would remain on Instagram since they are “part of our tradition,” but he also expressed his opinion that Instagram would eventually become more video-based.
In order to enable video while also supporting photographs, Instagram will need to “lean into that transition” in what users choose, consume, share, and see on the platform.
The full-screen mode, suggestions, and the visibility of friends’ postings, among other things that worry authors, will be subject to further development, he said.
The platform unveiled new tools for producers utilizing its Reels feature on July 21. These tools allow them to “remix” previously published public photo postings as reels and concurrently capture and respond to content on front and rear cameras with a “Dual” feature.
Instagram also announced that in the coming weeks, any new videos that are under 15 minutes in length will be automatically uploaded as Reels.