Image Source: CBS Sports
Champions Manchester City will go to West Ham United on the opening weekend of the Premier League season in 2022-23, which will include a mid-season break for the World Cup in Qatar.
Because of the World Cup, there will be no top-flight games from November 12-13 to December 26.
Crystal Palace will face Arsenal in the first match on Friday, August 5.
Liverpool visits Fulham, while Nottingham Forest travels to Newcastle.
Since 1998/99, Forest is back in the Premier League for the first time.
On November 21, England and Wales will compete in the World Cup. The final will take place on December 18, just eight days before the Premier League season begins.
Following a request by the Football Association, there will be no matches involving the Premier League’s ‘big six’ on the weekend of November 12-13, the weekend before the World Cup. Instead, on November 14, England will assemble before flying to Qatar the next day.
Over the course of the three-holiday match rounds, special arrangements were established to enable additional time between games. Squads will have more time to recover because of this. Clubs were formerly required to wait at least 48 hours between matches.
Following the match round on the 26th and 27th of December, the match round on the 29th, 30th, and 31st of December will take place. The New Year match round will be held on 2, 3, 4, and 5 January.
The 2022-23 season has been changed to accommodate the World Cup in 2022, which falls in the middle of the domestic calendar. As a result, it begins 75 days after the end of the 2021-22 campaign and ends a week later on May 28.
Fifa, the governing body of football around the globe, has already said that players must be freed on November 14 in order to participate in the World Cup. The mid-season break will thus be longer than six weeks.
Prior to Qatar, there will be 16 matchdays: five in August, three in September, six in October, and two in November.
On October 15, Liverpool will play Man City.
Manchester City, who were crowned champions in 2021-22 after a thrilling final-day victory against Aston Villa, have signed forward Erling Haaland from Borussia Dortmund for £51.2 million.
Haaland, 21, is likely to make his Premier League debut against West Ham before City travels to Newcastle and then hosts Bournemouth.
Liverpool, who finished one point behind City in 2021-22, will visit City on October 15, with the rematch taking place on April 1 at Etihad Stadium.
Nottingham Forest will host West Ham United before traveling to Everton after starting the season against Newcastle United. The first Manchester derby of the season will take place at Etihad Stadium on October 1, with United hosting City on January 14.
On October 1, Arsenal will host the first north London derby of the season, with the return on January 14 against Tottenham. The first Merseyside derby of the season will be on September 3 at Everton, with Liverpool hosting the Toffees on February 11.
Statistics from the first weekend
- Arsenal will begin the 2022-23 season with a London derby for the third consecutive season.
- On the opening weekend, Bournemouth will play Aston Villa. In August 2015, the Cherries lost 1-0 at home to Villa in their first Premier League match.
- In the last ten seasons, Everton has not lost in their first Premier League match (W4 D6).
- Fulham were unbeaten in both Premier League meetings against Liverpool in 2020-21, drawing 1-1 at home and winning 1-0 at Anfield, despite relegation.
- Southampton has the longest winless streak in the Premier League this season out of all the current Premier League clubs (P8 D4 L4).
- For the first time in their history, Manchester United will kick off their Premier League campaign against Brighton and Hove Albion.